Wednesday, January 14, 2009

SMA Meeting at Sole and The Drowsy Chaperone

Last week, when Chad and I bought tickets for the Orpheum, we decided we would grab dinner before the show. Not two hours later, I received an email from the South Main Association announcing a meeting that same evening… with free drinks and hors d'ouevres! Having joined the SMA during a late summer Trolley Tour specifically for these types of benefits, we decided to forego an actual dinner and check out the SMA event. On top of the “freeness” of the event, it was also at the new restaurant in the Westin, Sole. I have been wanting to check it out anyway, so this was a perfect way to test (or taste) the waters!

We arrived right at 6 when the networking was scheduled to start. After the obligatory check-in and name tagging, we grabbed a glass of red wine. I did not catch the name of it, since we were trying to hurry to grab a seat. It was a good table wine… not too deep, but not too fruity either.

About halfway through the first glass of wine, they started to bring food out. Expecting bite-sized appetizers that you could pile on a small plate, I was surprised to see pretentious (though not necessarily in a bad way) individual servings of food with only napkins on which to eat.

The menu was comprised of (the list is from a sheet of paper that was on the table):

Shrimp Lollipops
Oyster on the Half Shell
Tuna Tartare Spoons
Corn Bisque Cappuccino
Tender Brochette
Calamari


First placed on the hors d’ouevres table were the top three items on the list. The tuna was really a seared tuna (rather than a tartare) and was served in about a 1 x 1 inch square on an individual spoon, topped with a sweet and spicy sauce, ginger, and cilantro. Although the tuna itself was seared just right, the ginger was a little overpowering for such a small portion. Overall though, the flavors and textures did meld together for a tasty bite that left you wanting another.

The shrimp lollipops were obviously freshly fried and served with an orange-colored, slightly spiced dipping sauce. The breading was crisp on the outside and deliciously mushy (almost cheese-like) on the inside. It was a bit too much breading for a single piece of shrimp though, so I think I ended up peeling some off.

The oysters were topped with a citrusy-type light sauce with a slight onion undertone. The first platter was overpowering on the onions, but subsequent platters were considerably better. The oysters seemed a bit small (are they out of season?), but overall a great salty treat.


The next table rush was when they brought out the tender brochette. Served on skewers with a creamy gouda fondue, they were tender and full of flavor. Next, individual bowls of corn bisque were brought to the table 3-at-at-time. Of course I am quick, so I grabbed a bowl off the first tray. Deliciously creamy with chunks of corn, it was somehow light and frothy on top.

The final dish was the most surprising presentation. Fried calamari rings were served on top of a dipping sauce (similar to that of the shrimp) in (what looked like) port wine glasses with small forks. For typical tasting calamari, the presentation was a bit over-the-top.


Overall, the food was good. The corn bisque (for flavor and uniqueness) and the brochette (for flavor and appropriate presentation) were by far my favorites, followed by the tuna. I would have liked the calamari and shrimp a bit more in a different presentation. After returning for seconds, thirds, fourths, etc, it was time to head to the Orpheum. Unfortunately, we had to miss most of the speakers because of the show’s start time. But I did hear a lot of good info was given out.

As an fairly unknown show, we were not sure what to expect with the The Drowsy Chaperone. But it was a delightful mix of humor, satire, songs, and shocking statements. Seamlessly integrating the past and present, it almost played as a mockumentary for everything that is a typical old-time Broadway musical.

The lead actor was fabulous as a lonely man obsessed with musical theatre. Eating his snack on stage, making fun of the audience for not getting their own intermission, was only one of his memorable scenes. I would definitely recommend this show to anyone who wants an entertaining evening filled with laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment